[mmaimcal] Antenna specification question

Stéphane Guilloteau Stephane.Guilloteau at obs.u-bordeaux1.fr
Mon Nov 6 03:36:52 EST 2006

Hi all,

         The need for nutators is one of the unclear problems of ALMA.
Nutators were introduced because the foreseen stability of the receiving
system (receivers and atmosphere) was not high enough to provide suitable
performance combined with OTF mapping. Simulations showed this stability
issue could be a limiting factor.

         However, nutators have their drawbacks too. One of the main issue
is that the optical path is different between the two (or three) nutator
positions, leading to a different primary beam at some level. To what level
this influences the final imaging result has not been investigated into
details so far. So, we opted for a compromise: equipping the 4 antennas
required for total power measurements with
         - the most stable receivers
         - nutators
4 antennas were shown to be sufficient in terms of S/N to provide the total
power, under the assumption they observe 4 times longer than the main ALMA
array (as the rest of ACA). In some way, these antennas should be better
than the others !

It is clear that some gain can be obtained by optimising the quadrupod
without the nutator for antennas which don't need it.
At least, there could be a cost saving (with a lighter quadrupod), but
there could also be a performance enhancement. For example the stability of
the subreflector positioning is one thing which could not be assessed to
the required accuracy in the antenna evaluation (pointing was tested mostly
optically, and the limited radio pointing measurements were at the margin
in terms of precision).  It would be good to obtain from the manufacturer
what improvement they have in mind...

         Regards

                 Stephane