[mmaimcal] Antenna specification question

Al Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Fri Nov 3 17:11:39 EST 2006

Hi Rob

Thanks for the comments.

In fact, we originally had no nutators on any of the MMA telescopes.
At a review in July? 1999 we were told that we needed to have nutators on all
the telescopes.  However, they are prohibitively expensive.  From our
early estimates of how much total power continuum ALMA would do we set the
spec you cited.  I think the five which ALMA is purchasing cost (total)
~$850K or so ballpark.  Fifty more would exceed the cost of an antenna.

The four Total Power antennas are also equipped with the best receivers,
from a point of view of 1/f noise.  ALMA-JP are doing a study of how
much integration the Total Power and ACA arrays really need to do to
provide good images for different sorts of projects.

I think that in the best of all possible worlds, all antennas should meet
all specifications.  In order to deviate from this rule, there should be
a quantifiable benefit.  If we hear what that benefit might be we can
compare benefit with loss.