[mmaimcal] Site characterization

Alwyn Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Fri Oct 28 09:55:32 EDT 2005

Met with Lars-Ake Nyman about the future of site characterization.  Juan
Ruben Bravo is still in our employ, for about 210000 pesos per month.
He has been helping at the OSF, loading, unloading etc.  Unfortunately
he doesn't speak English (nor I Spanish) nor does he have technical
capabilities developed enough yet to retrieve data from the instruments.
  It isn't clear any of us do--there is a manual for data retrieval from
the ESO instruments but not NRAO.  Lars-Ake has recovered Roberto's
laptop to get programs from it (or will shortly).  V-to-F converter not
working ESO container interferometer.  225 tipper OK when last checked.
  APEX also has a 183 GHz tipper with three channels DSB which operates
when the shutter is open, and a weather station.  We agreed to try to
keep one weather station (ESO) operable, one interferometer operable
(NRAO) and the tipper going until something happens.  Perhaps if Radford
(or Angel, if he can visit Chile again anytime soon) comes to the site
he can offer some training to Ruben or Lars-Ake or me or ?.  Myers
offered CBI assistance too if needed.  I think we need more people
capable of downloading data and performing minor repairs at the trailers
if we are to maintain it in a 'periodic visit' fashion.  The engineer
position is an ESO position; ideally it would be filled pending outcome
of the Board's BCP decisions next week.  I don't think JAO management
favor that.