[mmaimcal] Text of AI on antenna quardupod design from Beasley

Jeff Mangum jmangum at nrao.edu
Thu Oct 27 08:07:50 EDT 2005

Hi Mark,

Understood.  I fear, though, that we are slowly sliding into a situation
where we *can* correct for many of the problems two antenna designs
present, but the effort involved prevents many of these corrections from
being made, independent of the good intentions of those involved.  I
think that this was Stephane's main point.  Taking the pointing case as
an example, most telescope operations spend a great deal of time during
their operational lifetime tweaking pointing performance.  For many of
these telescopes, these efforts consume a significant fraction of the
operational resources, when integrated over the lifetime of the
observatory.  The fraction of the total resources devoted to pointing
issues was about 20% for the 12m (cryogenic/receiver
development/maintenance/diagnosis/repair was the big "winner" for the
12m).  Most of this time is personnel resources.

So, echoing what I believe Stephane was suggesting in his 2003 comments,
two antenna designs adds significantly to the operations cost of the
observatory.  Note too that this is a recurring cost, so the integral
over the lifetime of the observatory makes this a big number.

I still worry about polarimetry, though, as being a possible
"showstopper" for the two antenna problem.  As Steve is our expert, I
hope he chimes-in on this issue.

Cheers,

Jeff