[mmaimcal] Text of AI on antenna quardupod design from Beasley

Robert Laing rlaing at eso.org
Wed Oct 26 13:52:55 EDT 2005

But doesn't this issue fit into what Stephane called "common mode errors"?
If all antennas have the same feed leg induced beam error pattern, then
the "signature" of this error term in a polarimetry measurement would
allow for its calibration/cancellation.  Won't dissimilar designs make
this cancellation process much more difficult, or perhaps not doable at
all?

I don't think this is analogous to the cancellation of a common-mode path
error. We have to model the polarized primary beam in any case. The
question is whether we can get away with one model for everything, two
models (one per antenna type) or in the worst case models for individual
antennas. At the moment, the last case is clearly necessary for WSRT at
low frequencies (notionally identical antennas!). In contrast, the VLA
(total intensity) primary beam calibration in AIPS uses a single
analytical model (no legs) for every antenna. So I think this is a
quantitative question requiring a calculation, unfortunately.

Regards

Robert

P.S. I'm not suggesting that ALMA will have anything like the problems of
WSRT at 151 MHz - just making an extreme illustration.

--
Robert Laing
European ALMA Instrument Scientist

European Southern Observatory
Karl-Schwarzschild-Strasse 2
D-85748 Garching-bei-Muenchen
Germany

Telephone (direct)     (+49) 89 3200 6625
           (secretary)                6631/6234/6678
Fax                                  6611

rlaing at eso.org