[mmaimcal] Text of AI on antenna quardupod design from Beasley

Jeff Mangum jmangum at nrao.edu
Wed Oct 26 13:43:49 EDT 2005

Hi Mark,

Comment below...

Mark Holdaway wrote:

> On Beam issues:
>
> I'm not sure that the different quadripod positions will be a big deal
> for
> polarization.  Or more exactly stated, I don't know how to do that
> calculation
> to get the polarized beams.
>
> The total intensity beams are simple to calculate, and the feed legs
> will make
> sidelobes of order 1-3%.   However, we never fixed the incorrect
> specification
> that we know the primary beam to 6% accuracy, so it won't be too
> convincing a problem.  Doing the calculations will at least tell us
> what level this
> is, and using real feed leg data (the two times I did this in the
> past, I just made
> stuff up and passed  it by people like Tim Cornwell or Darrel Emerson
> or JingQuan, who said "Yup, a bit more like *this* and it should be
> sort of
> realistic").

But doesn't this issue fit into what Stephane called "common mode
errors"?  If all antennas have the same feed leg induced beam error
pattern, then the "signature" of this error term in a polarimetry
measurement would allow for its calibration/cancellation.  Won't
dissimilar designs make this cancellation process much more difficult,
or perhaps not doable at all?

> And a final security blanket statement: in principle, we will be able
> to deal with
> either the differing total intensity or the polarization beams in
> software;  this is an
> effort we knew we would have to address at some point -- these
> algorithms may have
> been priority 3 in the SSR's list, having two antenna contracts
> probably brings
> that priority up to 2.

Can the same be said of either pointing calibration or terms which are
due to gravitational deflection?  The commonality of errors due to
pointing, pathlength, and gravitational deflection seems to be a major
advantage to being able to do all of these things which haven't really
been done before.

Cheers,

Jeff