[mmaimcal] Re: [Almasci] Two antennas

John Richer jsr at mrao.cam.ac.uk
Mon Nov 7 12:14:56 EST 2005

Hi Debra,

Yes, the requirements you quote are the ones I was looking at.  I agree
that the intent is somewhat ambiguous as written.  I'm sure someone here
can elaborate.  I did look for the AIPS++ audit that ALMA did to see if
ths shed any light, but I couldn't locate it.

However I think the intention here is surely to allow different primary
beam responses, given that we are trying to push these dishes up to very
high frequencies where the beam efficiency gets rather modest, and where
beams will necessarily vary from dish to dish no matter which vendor it
came from.

  OL 5.3-R2 Careful (polarized) primary beam correction and pointing
  correction is critical for high fidelity mosaic imaging and must be
  incorporated into the mosaicing algorithms.  Priority 1.

     OL-5.3-R2.2 A set of ALMA standard beam images will be made
     available by the project and distributed with the Package, with
     updates available for download when appropriate. Priority: 1

     OL-5.3-R2.3 The user shall be able to specify the primary beam in a
     number of forms, both analytic and tabular, in addition to the ALMA
     provided primary beam. Priority: 2

John

--
John Richer
Astrophysics Group,   Cavendish Lab,   Madingley Road,  Cambridge CB3 0HE