[mmaimcal] Re: [Almasci] Two antennas

Debra Shepherd dshepher at aoc.nrao.edu
Mon Nov 7 10:55:09 EST 2005

Hi John,

I'm looking through the offline requirements now - there are several that
relate to the need to handle the polarized beam response in imaging but
none (that I can find) specify that the offline package should be able to
handle polarized beam patterns separately for each individual antenna.  The
requirements relating to this are:

Interferometric imaging section:

OL 4.5-R1 Determination of and correction for pointing offsets and the
polarized primary beam is critical to the ability to reliably mosaic using
ALMA, and this must be available in the Package, preferable in several
algorithmic forms.   Priority 1.

Mosaic imaging section:

OL 5.2-R1 High-fidelity imaging of the entire primary beam in all Stokes
parameters is the primary goal - therefore, incorporation of the polarized
primary beam response of the array is required.  Priority 1.

OL 5.3-R2 Careful (polarized) primary beam correction and pointing
correction is critical for high fidelity mosaic imaging and must be
incorporated intot eh mosaicing algorithms.  Priority 1.

I do not find any text that says the beam patterns must be handled
separately for each individual antenna.  Perhaps this was the intent but I
was not part of the SSR when the requirements were written so I cannot say.
Thus, it appears that it is appropriate to include the increased cost to
develop the capability to handle individual polarized beam patterns.

Debra

--
----
-------
Debra Shepherd				e-mail: dshepher at aoc.nrao.edu
National Radio Astronomy Observatory	phone:  (505) 835-7398
P.O. Box O				FAX:    (505) 835-7027
Socorro, NM 87801			http://www.nrao.edu/~dshepher