[mmaimcal] Matching of frequency profiles for ALMA and ACA correlators

Darrel Emerson demerson at nrao.edu
Mon Jun 20 17:10:40 EDT 2005

Are at least some of the following true?

1. If we're prepared to give up a factor of ~2 in ACA correlator frequency
resolution, then there's no problem, because we can reweight terms
of the ACA FX correlator in order to equalize the frequency response with
the main ALMA array sinc response.  Especially true since we'll usually
want to grade responses (Hanning or whatever) to reduce frequency sidelobes.

2. Doesn't the ACA correlator support a greater number of channels
than the main ALMA array anyway (I'm not at all sure if it does or not)?
If so, then combined with (1) above that's the end of the story.

3. How often is the ultimate in ACA frequency response really going to be
needed?  Could it be that in most cases where extreme frequency resolution
and maximum number of channels are needed, the angular extent of the
source is such that the combination of ACA and main ALMA may not
be so important?  In other words, is there any tendency for spectrally
narrow emission not to be spatially very extended (the reverse of the Orion
CO spectrum.)  I don't know if this is true.

  My feeling, which may be probably completely wrong, is that it'll be
sufficiently rare that we run into a significant  imaging problem
because of this,
since in most cases we can sacrifice FX resolution to equalize the frequency
quantify
things further.
                        Cheers,
                                      Darrel.