[mmaimcal] ALMA News

Al Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Fri Jun 10 11:01:12 EDT 2005

As some of you may be aware, we have received news from ESO of a delay
in their ALMA antenna procurement process.

In a meeting earlier this week, the ESO Council strongly reaffirmed
their strategic commitment to ALMA. However Council requested a fuller
understanding of the overall financial situation as a result of the
rebaselining exercise, which is not yet completed. Therefore ESO is not
yet in a position to place an antenna contract.

We here in North America, like ESO, remain 100% committed to the success
of ALMA and, along with NSF and NRC, are working very closely with our
colleagues in Europe and on the ALMA Board to help bring a rapid and
successful solution to this situation.

K. Y. Lo
Adrian Russell