[mmaimcal]Re: Talk requests for Exgal section and facilities

Min S. Yun myun at bonito.astro.umass.edu
Tue May 4 11:24:11 EDT 2004

Reviewing the DSRP during the first 30 minutes or so by the
facilitators would be a good way to start this session.  It
will lead nicely into the invited presentations and set the
tone for further discussions.  I like the idea of extending
invitations to some of the poster presenters (particularly
students and postdocs) and try to be more inclusive.

We need a forum to discuss more about the early science
(what capabilities one can expect, when, and how they are going to be
selected) and "key" or "legacy" projects.  These large projects are
somewhat controversial in my mind because there is an important
tradeoff between the immediate scientific impact versus a
broader opportunity (observing time) for the community.  Also,
Spitzer is one of the first projects that started off with a
"Legacy" project while most other facilities waited a few years
before starting such projects.  This is probably an important
debate, and we do not have a regular forum for such a discussion
in the program at the moment.  I'd put a lower priority on
this discussion in this particular session because it needs to
be a broader discussion, probably one of the post-dinner discussions.

					-- Min