[mmaimcal] draft results of holography sensitivity calculations

Jeff Mangum jmangum at nrao.edu
Mon Dec 6 11:08:17 EST 2004

Hi Peter,

"Peter" == Peter Napier <pnapier at aoc.nrao.edu> writes:

Peter> I have always expected that the final tweak of the surface would have to
Peter> be made based on holography measurements made at the AOS. Remember that
Peter> there is a significant difference between the average temperature, water
Peter> vapor and barometric pressure at the OSF and AOS. We must check to see
Peter> if these differences cause any change (hopefully small) in the surface
Peter> and be prepared to readjust.
Peter> Peter

Good point.  I see this as an operations issue, in the same category
as using the FEM to set the surface to the rigging angle based on a
holography measurement at a fixed elevation.

--- Jeff

Peter> Jeff Mangum wrote:

>> Let me try to clear-up a number of misconceptions and
>> misunderstandings in this discussion.  First, some facts:
>>
>> (1) Transmitter holography will be used to verify the 25 micron spec
>> at the OSF.  The main drawback of this technique is that we cannot
>> check the elevation dependence of the surface.
>>
>> (2) Some technique is needed to check the dependence upon elevation of
>> the surface.  This can be done in several ways with a
>> low-frequency (1mm or 3mm) system:
>>
>> (a) Interferometric holography (3mm).
>> (b) OOF beam maps (1mm).
>>
>> Pick your poison as to which technique you want to use.  Both are
>> difficult to implement.  Note, though, that high resolution on the
>> surface is not necessary for this measurement.  You need to look
>> for large-scale deformations with elevation as the basic elevation
>> check.
>>
>> (3) For safety reasons, we should not plan on doing surface setting at
>> the AOS.  This means that all antenna surface settings will need
>> to be done at the OSF.
>>
>> (4) The surface as a function of elevation check is really an antenna
>> acceptance issue.  Likely something one would do on the first N
>> antennas (where N is greater than 2 but less than 6).
>>

>> More comments below...

>> There is absolutely no reason to check just a subset of panels.  In
>> fact, the only reason ever to do a limited surface measurement/setting
>> would be to correct an incorrect setting of the surface (i.e. to
>> re-adjust the focal point of the paraboloid or to raise/lower the
>> surface, both of which I have had to do).

Mark> Yeah, it is unclear how we would make good use of holography at the low
Mark> site.  We would do OSF holography, and find out "Oh NO!  The surface is
Mark> BAD!", and then drag the antenna up to the high site, do full-array
Mark> holography and find out "Ah, this is how we need to adjust the panels",
Mark> and then drag the antenna back down to the OSF again and adjust the
Mark> panels, and then do OSF one-baseline holography and confirm "OK, the
Mark> surface is FINE!" and then drag the antenna back up to the high site
Mark> and do more holography and say "OK, the surface is indeed FINE".

>> If you discovered a mis-set surface, there would be no reason to move
>> it to the AOS.

Mark> If we have a one-baseline interferometer at the OSF, yes, we'll use it,
Mark> but if we don't have it, we might actually save a bit of time.
Mark> Maybe the one valid use of holography at the OSF is to confirm that
Mark> the panel resetting has indeed made life better for us.

>> As I said above, interferometric holography serves only one purpose,
>> to check the elevation dependence of the surface.  I believe that this
>> can be done with low-spatial resolution measurements.
>>
>> --- Jeff

Mark> mmaimcal mailing list
Mark> mmaimcal at listmgr.cv.nrao.edu