[mmaimcal]Re: Comment in ALMA memo 489

Mark Holdaway mholdawa at tuc.nrao.edu
Mon Apr 5 12:03:24 EDT 2004

> > Mark's level
> > I suggest that you have an effective algorithm for dealing with the +ACA
> > data case, and that you are dealing with the homogeneous array (ALMA+SD)
> > case less effectively.  I am calling for a fair comparison.
>
> Koh-Ichiro's level
> Do you mean that ALMA+SD mosaic should use OTF scan same
> as ACA?  However, the dump rate of the baseline correlator
> for cross-correlation is different (much slower) from that
> for auto-correlation.  So, I do not know how to realize
> an interferometric observation and an OTF single dish scan
> simultaneously with the ALMA 64-element array.
> Can you give me your detailed idear?

Mark's new level
Yes, I am suggesting that to be a fair comparison, we need to use the
same total power data.

I have been informed by Larry that all the 12m (the ALMA 64 and the ACA 4)
antennas have the the same electronics for total power.  There are square
law analog detectors that can be used for fast total power continuum, or
the autocorrelation spectra from the correlators, which can still work
pretty fast.  The 4 antennas in the ACA are special in that they are the
only ones which will have nutators.

Also, if we have to use the correlator (ie, for spectral line), it is not
all that slow, and if we are doing spectral line we don't need to be
zooming across the source so fast as atmospheric stuff won't be a big
problem for spectral line.

   -Mark