[mmaimcal]comments on Y+ vs. ring configuration notes from stephane

John Conway jconway at oso.chalmers.se
Fri Jun 14 12:31:48 EDT 2002

Hi,

 On the issue of astrometric accuracy for ring and Y+ arrays
 I include a postscript file as an attachment where
 I discuss the issue of resolution and astrometric accuracy
 in a simple way (hopefully nit too simple).

 It seems to me making the simplest assumptions then
 both the astrometric accuracy and FWHM both depend
 on the mean square basline length - hence
 two arrays with the same FWHM are likey to have
 very similar astrometric accuracy.

  A number of assumptions are made in the above
  argument (see attachment), specifically that
  the phase noise (or for low SNR when fitting small position
  differences between actual and correlated position, the
  imaginary part) has a noise which is independant
  of baseline length. If at reasonable SNR the
  atmosphere makes a signifcant contribution cf
  additive noise then this may have to be modified
  slightly, but for the long baselines we are talking
  about here the atmospheric structure function is fairly
  flat with baseline length, so I don't see it will have a
  big effect.

  There may be slight differences in astrometric
  performance betwen rings and Y+ for the above
  reasons - but I don't see any first order differences
  due to differences in the general baseline length
  distribution as implied by the argument below.

     John