[mmaimcal]Re: [alma-config]Re: comparison of the boone's and kogan's compact configurations

Bryan Butler bbutler at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Tue Jan 29 12:22:05 EST 2002

all,

leonia and i have been discussing this at some length just now.
i had gone off myself and essentially reproduced all of this
independently, and have now been thinking about it quite a bit
(and leonia has clarified some things for me).

it seems clear that simply multiplying the synthesized beam by
the primary beam (which is what dave & frederic did) is too
simple.  the problem is that the synthesized beam is convolved
with the sky brightness, and hence 'moves around' (effectively)
in the PB.  so you have to consider multiplying the synthesized
beam by shifted PBs.  the question is how much is the maximum
shift?  a related question is what is the size of the optimization
region on the sky (for leonia's beam optimizations)?

it also seems clear to me that considering the synthesized beam with
*no* multiplication (what leonia has been doing) is too simple.
this should be considered as the absolute worst case (i.e., a
pathological case where sources on opposites sides of the PB both
happen to fall at locations of peak sidelobes in relation to each
other).  if we were never to deconvolve (always just take the dirty
images), then this would be closer to the right thing to do, but
the fact of the matter is that we will *almost always* deconvolve.

the exact treatment is not clear to me.  maybe a reasonable
compromise might be to calculate the 'worst case shifted peak
sidelobe' - where, instead of downweighting strictly by the PB,
you take a shifted version of the PB instead (so downweight
by less).  the question, again, is 'shifted by *how much*'?  not
clear to me.  i *would* say that making the shift be as much as
the full width between the nulls in the PB seems too much to me
(this is equivalent to having leonia's optimization go over twice
the width between the nulls).  perhaps make the shift be equal to
the FWHM.  i will have a go at this...

	-bryan