[mmaimcal] Meeting

myun myun at daisy.astro.umass.edu
Thu Oct 5 13:19:12 EDT 2000

I think this is a good point.  Once we figure out (1) number of
antennas; (2) the final configuration style/mode; and (3)
whether to consider PlB site or not; we can figure out where the
final pad positions will be.  Doing this ourselves is not an easy
task -- not only the task itself is challenging, but it will
inevitably compete with all other site businesses when some number
of us venture out the the site.  I took a whole binder of pad
positions to our last November expedition, but we managed to
examine only the five candidate compact configuration sites
that time.  Also, using just a hand-held GPS unit may not be
accurate enough for this exercise.  Considering the possibility of
hiring a local Chilean contract crew, after folding in the
budgetary and political issues, is a wise path to follow.

					-- Min

p.s. The contractor for the optical interferometer at Palomar once
built the telescope pads displaced in position by 10 or 20 meters
(for an optical interferometer!!!), and it would not surprize me if this
happens to us as well.  We might do a better job since we have
more vested interests individually, but it is hard to hold anyone
else responsible if we, the untrained for this sort of work,
had part in the process.