[mmaimcal] forwarded message on subarrays from Jacob Baars

Steven T. Myers smyers at nrao.edu
Tue Apr 11 11:22:55 EDT 2000

I still see little benefit from distinguishing between the number that
the correlator can handle (6 proposed) and the software (8 proposed),
and as per my previous reply to Stephane's first mail on the subject I
prefer to set the latter two to 8 (my 4 "hard" versus 8 "soft"
subarrays).  This will simplify things and will be one less complicated
distinction that the user needs to be aware of.  Unless there is a
compelling case that the correlator needs to have 6 instead of 8, I
strongly urge us to keep things as simple as possible.  (The cost of
another 4 first LOs is an example of a good reason to distinguish between
4 and 8 there, but 4 isnt enough for everything...).

  -steve