[mmaimcal] forwarded message on subarrays from Jacob Baars

Al Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Tue Apr 11 11:13:13 EDT 2000

Imcalers:  Comments on this note from Jaap?  I think it looks workable.

Al

I have finally found the time to work on a possible wording of the
"sub array" issue.
We, or at least some of us, discussed that a short note might be
appended to the ALMA System Preliminary Design Recommendations, as
well as to the ASAC minutes. Using mainly a proposed version by
Stephane, here is a draft proposal of such a note.

Any comments and improvements, as well as alternatives to its
dissemination are are welcome.

regards,

Jaap
=====================================
DRAFT

There exists confusion, and possibly differences of opinion, among
the scientists and engineers of the ALMA Project as to the final
decision regarding the number of sub-arrays, which would be supported
in ALMA. After discussions in the ASAC and among the Project
Scientists and System Engineers, we have agreed that the following
definition is appropriate.

We distinguish three types of sub-array levels:

     1) Number of different frequencies the LO system can drive simultaneously
         Specification: up to 4.
     2) Number of antenna sets the correlator can treat independently:
         Specification: up to 6
     3) Number of antenna sets the software can handle independently:
         Specification: up to 8
     4) Independent control of any antenna will be possible (for
maintenance and repair).