[mmaimcal] Unusable Time

Mark Holdaway mholdawa at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Mon Oct 18 11:47:46 EDT 1999

> 	There are two reasons I can think of which make the array
> unusable at a give frequency: phase stability and pointing. One interesting
> question is what will the 12m's pointing be like in above average wind
> conditions ? Someone would need to look into this as well as the phase
> stability argument.
>
> ---Frazer

At least with the 8m design and the pointing error model I stole from
Jingquan, pointing was almost never an issue at Q band, seldom at 3mm.
The Europeans claim that PdeB pointing does not correlate at all with
wind -- so their bias is that wind and 12m antennas are no problem.
But it should be reinvestigated, as it will constrain observations
at the higher frequencies.

	-M