[mmaimcal] Re: [mmaswg] Dynamic Scheduling

Mark Holdaway mholdawa at tuc.nrao.edu
Wed May 26 14:53:18 EDT 1999

> I'm suspicious of how well one can predict the effectiveness of such a
> system until it is tried.  Dynamic scheduling of ALMA  seems to me to be
> much more of a heuristic than a scientific,  analytical process.  As such,
> spending too much time now planning the details of this process may be a
> waste of time.

The MOST important thing about dynamic scheduling is that it is part of
a proposal to published paper computerized system.  As Tony Beasley says,
if you ever have to print something out and enter it by hand in another
computer, you've failed.  As such, sufficient design work must occur NOW
to permit whatever we end up doing to be done in a systematic fashion.

I suspect a large part of the difficulties JCMT is having relate to
grafting this dynamic system onto their old system, which was not designed
with all this in mind.

	-Mark