[mmaimcal] Re: Draft summary of ALMA low frequency issues

John Carlstrom jc at pharlap.spole.gov
Sat Dec 11 18:11:19 EST 1999

Dear Steve,

Greetings from the South Pole! I just read through the draft you
circulated (4 page version). You cover the basic points. I would
point out, as you did, that the point source sensitivity of
ALMA at Ka-band would be comparable to the upgraded VLA. But
that for surveys - it would be at least 4 times faster. Keep in
mind that this comparison is made after putting of order $75M
into the VLA, While it cost only about $3.5M additional
for ALMA.  I think this should be mentioned up front in your
science bullets.

As you know, I think it the case for keeping the  Ka-Band capabilities
in ALMA is overwhelming. At arcminute scales, the sensitivity
would be of order 3 uK in an hour! This is the required sensitivity
at the correct angular scales for investigating the reionization
history of the universe. In calculating this sensitivity I
used the number of baselines equal to 2.N with N = 64, to
account properly for the number of short baselines.

Cheers, John