[fitswcs] [forwarded] WCS for co-moving maps

David Berry davidstuartberry at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 03:16:02 EDT 2015

On 11 September 2015 at 19:44, William Thompson
<William.T.Thompson at nasa.gov> wrote:
> On 09/11/15 12:57, David Berry wrote:
>>
>> On 11 September 2015 at 17:45, Patrick P Murphy <pmurphy at nrao.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> FYI.

Those extra AST-specific keywords  hold information about where the
origin of the offset system is in absolute coordinates, and whether
the offset axes within the original SkyFrame formed a Cartesian or
polar coordinate system. Useful if your OFLN/OFLT axes represent
offsets from the centre of M31 for instance, but not much value if
they represent offsets from the centre of Mars. Some of this
information could probably be derived instead from the alternative
axis description mentioned below.

>>> 2) How do I convey that the pixles along axis1 are offsets from the SSO
>>>      parallel to the ICRS RA axis, and not some other RA,Dec system?
>>

>> I'd say use RADESYS.

Apologies. Now I re-read my own docs, I see that in fact details of
the axes are held in a second set of WCS keywords representing an
alternative coordinate description (i.e. they have "A" or something at
the end of the keyword names). The absolute reference point (CRVAL)
within the alternative coordinate description is not critical, but
JCMT puts it at some position that is representative of the moving
object (e.g. it position at the start of the observation). There's a
certain amount of overlap here with the "AST-specific" information
described above.

>>> 3) Do you see any other problem with the above header?
>>

>> CUNIT1/2 are not really needed as the FIST-WCS standard mandates degrees.
>

> I would argue for including them for maximum clarity, similar to the way
> that LONPOLE is recommended to be included even when it has the default
> value.

Personally I'd say that a header is clearer if all defaulted keywords
are omitted. It focusses the mind on the things that matter. I can't
see any recommendation about including all defaulted keywords in the
standard.

David