[fitswcs] [forwarded] WCS for co-moving maps

William Thompson William.T.Thompson at nasa.gov
Fri Sep 11 14:44:43 EDT 2015

On 09/11/15 12:57, David Berry wrote:
> On 11 September 2015 at 17:45, Patrick P Murphy <pmurphy at nrao.edu> wrote:
>> FYI.

I see this as being very similar to what we do for solar images, where we've
defined a solar-specific coordinate system signified by the axis labels HPLN and
HPLT, with the orientation aligned to the solar north polar axis.  This is a
convention, but one which has been adopted by several recent solar missions.

I found documentation for OFLN/OFLT here:

http://www.starlink.rl.ac.uk/docs/sun211.htx/sun211ss281.html

I'm not sure I completely understand it.  Are OFLN/OFLT always defined to be
offsets in the RA/Dec system, or could they also be offsets in some other system
such as ecliptic?  The AST documentation talks about additional AST-specific
keywords being written to the header to allow the original "SkyFrame" to be
reconstructed.  This leads me to wonder whether using OFLN/OFLT is useful
without the full AST library implementation.

>> 2) How do I convey that the pixles along axis1 are offsets from the SSO
>>      parallel to the ICRS RA axis, and not some other RA,Dec system?
>
> I'd say use RADESYS.
>

>> 3) Do you see any other problem with the above header?
>
> CUNIT1/2 are not really needed as the FIST-WCS standard mandates degrees.

I would argue for including them for maximum clarity, similar to the way that
LONPOLE is recommended to be included even when it has the default value.