[fitswcs] RADESYS = 'GAPPT'

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Mar 16 15:31:30 EDT 2011

But via a coherent mapping relative to the CCD array?  And the array relative to the bore sight of the telescope?  And the optics relative to the drive encoders?  At some point the utility of a top-down pointing model gives way to the mask preparation process (and the catalogs Steve mentions).  Similarly, at some point a utility threshold of mapping the telescope pointing across to wide-field imaging wcs folds.  Metadata doesn't always win out over data.  And data logistics aren't in thrall to observing logistics.

A modern instrument has hundreds of engineering parameters that always generate a discussion about which to include in the FITS headers visible to the astronomers.  It seems to this observer that these discussions are often backwards.  Rather than might this-or-that keyword be handy to keep around, ask what science metadata requirements flow from the science use cases.  Such an inventory may well then imply that the data handling jump out of the well worn path of previous instrumentation and include data-dependent components like astrometry.net rather than metadata-derived computations from an earlier stage of the empirical process.

Which is to say that I've had surreal conversations too many times about the "meaning" of RA versus TELRA versus the WCS keywords versus "reference pixels" versus...

Rob