[fitswcs] Polarization codes

Mark Calabretta mcalabre at atnf.CSIRO.AU
Fri Mar 28 02:19:15 EDT 2008

On Thu 2008/03/27 21:53:37 MDT, Doug Tody wrote
in a message to: Mark Calabretta <mcalabre at atnf.csiro.au>
and copied to: Paddy Leahy <j.p.leahy at manchester.ac.uk>, fitswcs at nrao.edu

Dear Doug,

>Normally I don't fall for the flame-bait, but actually significant

You surprise me completely, that was not "flame-bait".

>parts of the WCS concept and technology were developed independently
>in IRAF, way back in the eighties, and with great reluctance were

Original versions of G&C (it started as a single paper) used the CDi_j
variant of the CD00i00j matrix proposed by Hanisch & Wells (1988) which
came from the NASA-sponsored meeting held in Charlotesville in Jan/1988.
Isn't that where IRAF got the CD matrix?

However, we are obliged to you for convincing us to preserve CDELTn.
This followed a discussion between you and Eric at the AAS meeting in
Berkeley in 1993, I have the email from Eric detailing your reasons if
you want to see it.  Consequently we reverted to CDELTi + matrix.
Initially we were going to call it CDi_j with the current meaning of
PCi_j but there were objections regarding prior conflicting usage in
IRAF so Eric changed the name.  Your original email accepting this
solution is appended.

>later allowed to influence the development of the actual WCS standard,
>which has always been tightly controlled by G&C.

Later you insisted that we must revert to the CDi_j matrix.  I don't
recall that you ever provided a reason, I believe it was simply because
it was the way IRAF did it.  That is what we resisted, for the reasons
originally espoused by you in 1993, and for compelling reasons that
emerged subsequently, c.f. Sect. 2.1.2 of Paper I.

>We didn't merely
>"adopt" it later as you suggest above

Point (4) in my itemised list refers to the AIPS convention, not the
WCS standard, so you've fundamentally misread what I was saying.  Didn't
you adopt the AIPS convention in IRAF?  If not, then I was mistaken.

> - the current WCS implementation
>in IRAF predates the WCS standard.

Doesn't it use WCSLIB?  Lindsay provided me with much valuable feedback
on the earlier versions of WCSLIB.  I was given to understand that she
was modifying IRAF to use it.  (Sadly, AIPS, Miriad and karma also have
not progressed beyond the AIPS convention and I'm sure there are many
more.)

>In the end we did not mind since
>it turned out ok - plus it could never have been as good as it is
>without the expertise of all involved.  But please don't suggest that
>WCS came only from the radio/AIPS community.

All of the non-linear stuff came from Eric's original AIPS memos, my
aips++ memo, and what we added subsequently ourselves and with useful
input from a number of people.  As far as I am aware, your input was
related to issues regarding the CD matrix.  We were also vaguely aware
that you may have had something to do with alternate coordinate
descriptors but I have nothing to confirm that.

In fact, I did a meticulous search through thousands of emails (2880
would you believe! - see attached) to ensure that everyone who provided
significant input to the paper, not simply asking a question, is listed
in the acknowledgements.  Stricty speaking, your input all relates to
Paper I.  However, we included you in Paper II also as a courtesy.

Was there something else that I am unaware of?

Regards, Mark