[fitswcs] Polarization codes

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Thu Mar 27 23:53:37 EDT 2008

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008, Mark Calabretta wrote:

> They way it works these days is basically the way it's always worked:
>   1) Develop the methodology (think of Eric's original coordinate work).
>   2) Document it publically (AIPS memos 27 and 46).
>   3) Prove that it works by implementing it and getting it into
>      widespread use (AIPS).
>   4) Encourage other people to adopt it (IRAF, etc.).
>   5) Try to get it cast in stone (WCS standard, WCSLIB).
> The last step maybe tortuous but fortunately it's optional.  (There is
> also a 6th step but I don't want to discourage you!)

Normally I don't fall for the flame-bait, but actually significant
parts of the WCS concept and technology were developed independently
in IRAF, way back in the eighties, and with great reluctance were
later allowed to influence the development of the actual WCS standard,
which has always been tightly controlled by G&C.  We didn't merely
"adopt" it later as you suggest above - the current WCS implementation
in IRAF predates the WCS standard.  In the end we did not mind since
it turned out ok - plus it could never have been as good as it is
without the expertise of all involved.  But please don't suggest that
WCS came only from the radio/AIPS community.

	- Doug