[fitswcs] Paper III and radio/optical velocities

Richard McMahon at IOA rgm at ast.cam.ac.uk
Mon May 30 12:40:07 EDT 2005

Dear Arnold,

Just a quick response. I certainly dont want to introduce new terms
unecessarily. I accept you points but if the FITs communities
and IVOA are to use these terms, maybe both the relevant documents
need to explain the historical/scientific origin of the terms. Maybe
they do but I havent gone back and checked.

It depends on your definition but I do not 100% agree that the terms above
are commonly used or understood. I am an observational optical
extragalactic astronomer with over 20 years experience and had never
encountered the terms until I read your comprehensive IVOA documents and
some of the Kyoto IVOA meeting presentations on the IVOA Wiki.

I just did a quick google on the term radio velocity and the second
link was relevent:

http://www.atnf.csiro.au/computing/software/atca_aips/node62.html

It says here:

The radio velocity definition is .......
This expression is often used by Galactic radio astronomers (astronomers
from our Galaxy ?) but is now deprecated by the IAU.

There is also a nice discussion here:

http://www.iram.fr/IRAMFR/ARN/may95/node4.html

Lindegren and Dravins(2003) say in section 2.2

This last expression(i.e. radio velocity) has traditionally been used in
radio astronomy (e.g. Walker 1987), although the practice is discouraged
due to the risk of confusion with the earlier expression (Contopoulos &
Jappel 1974; Muller & Jappel 1977). v(1)r is sometimes called the .optical
velocity. and v(2)r the .radio velocity. (Greisen et al. 2003).

The bottom line, I suppose is that the terms are and have been used, and
we dont want to introduce new ones but I feel the background to the terms
needs exposing possibly with a literature reference like Lindegren
and Dravins(2003).

best regard Richard