[fitswcs] Paper III and radio/optical velocities

Patrick Leahy jpl at jb.man.ac.uk
Mon May 30 12:37:49 EDT 2005

On Mon, 30 May 2005, Richard McMahon at IOA wrote:

<SNIP>

> It would seem better to me to call them 'frequency' velocity, 'wavelength'
> velocity and 'redshift' velocity if we are trying to describe data. The
> optical/radio designations are not terms that real astronomers use.

Nonsense, many real astronomers use these terms all the time.
Specifically, any radio astronomer who has had any contact with spectral
line work will know of the two definitions and the trouble they cause.
Obviously there are some optical astronomers (e.g. you) who havn't come
across this before. You probably never measured a redshift small enough to
approximate by a velocity without using a cosmological model, in which
case the terms are indeed irrelevant for you.

Paddy Leahy