[fitswcs] Comments on Paper III

Frank Valdes valdes at noao.edu
Tue Nov 25 14:00:55 EST 2003

What I have not noticed being explicitly mentioned is the thinking of
the authors that first led to a vector cell proposal.  My recollection is
that it boiled down to concerns about resorting of a lookup table which
would render the coordinate table invalid.  It was argued that this was
less likely to happen in a vector cell than in a table column.

Since I was anxious to have some type of explicit wavelength description
for 1D spectral data included in the FITS WCS papers I did not press for
other options.   It was possible that one response would be to defer any
type of tablular representation to another paper.  This could still happen
but I am glad to be getting feedback about the usefulness of solving the
VO and FITS WCS simple 1D spectral representation in some collaborative
fashion.