[fitswcs] CAR projections

Mark Calabretta Mark.Calabretta at atnf.CSIRO.AU
Tue Nov 13 19:59:27 EST 2001

On Tue 2001/11/13 13:30:52 -0000, David Berry wrote
in a message to: fitswcs at nrao.edu

>So are the creators of these headers in error for not placing the
>reference point at the galactic centre, or am I in error for
>mis-interpreting the headers?

Hi David,

The headers are clearly wrong, Paper II explains why in detail and even
includes a pair of diagrams which show why.

I added this clarification to the paper early in 1999 to emphasise
statements associated with the CAR projection which were present for many
years before that.

I've also made similar remarks publically on fitsbits (2000/11/08)
concerning the use of the undefined "LIN" (non-)projection.

Cheers, Mark