[fitswcs] Exhortation

Don Wells dwells at NRAO.EDU
Thu Jul 16 11:22:16 EDT 1998

Patrick Wallace writes:
 > Don Wells reports an example of mismatched VLA/MERLIN and HST contours.  I
 > would like to offer my help in tracking down the source of this discrepancy.
 > >From past experience, I'd expect it to be some straightforward mistake in
 > the positional astronomy, rather than inadequate data-interchange tools.

Thanks for this generous offer, Pat!

Isn't it true that you are the responsible person for the IAU
commission effort to create and distribute the official algorithms for
these calculations? Will these algorithms include officially-blessed
transformations from the older reference frames to ICRS? Should the
section in G&C include some discussion of how to use these algorithms
to implement the transformations in the FITS context?

-Don