[fitsbits] DOI keyword usage for FITS? {External}

Marjolein Verkouter verkouter at jive.eu
Fri Aug 4 11:09:43 EDT 2023

Hi Rob, others,

> On 4 Aug 2023, at 16:33, Seaman, Robert Lewis - (rseaman) <rseaman at arizona.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
>     • Many keywords point outside the FITS file either implicitly or explicitly, e.g., software versioning, filter curves, instrument definitions.

Just to make sure: I don't have a problem with that; it's a fact of life. I was just pointing out that e.g. the DOI failing to resolve is not a unique failure mode, nor do I think that FITS should try to fix any of those when it's not feasible to e.g. include such calibration information in the file itself. (I could imagine a filter curve could be put in a fits file if it wouldn't add dramatically to the overhead. But I digress, sorry.)

>     • I want to add the DOI pointing to the PDS archive containing the image.
>  At the moment, I’m thinking:
>  REFERENC= ‘doi:10.26033/80fq-dn90’
> BIBCODE = ‘2022pdss.data....7S’
>  Or maybe DOI instead of REFERENC and omit “doi:”. I’ll ask my PDS colleagues what other projects have done in similar circumstances.

Yeah that makes sense, and it should be moderately easy for a maintainer of (a collection of) DOIs to modify the meta data of those DOIs and make them resolve to a URL such as this.

>  FITSBITS discussions tend to get very philosophical, including various folks suggesting we violate the standard in various ways. In a practical sense, I want data formats that will pass review and validation by PDS. My opinion on whether multiple REFERENC keywords are acceptable doesn’t matter if PDS will reject the file for failing FITS validation.

I think that a discussion towards supporting a more elaborate complete modern data model is more useful than a discussion if and how to shoehorn this in one or more header keywords.

>  Rob
>   On 8/4/23, 12:53 AM, "Marjolein Verkouter" wrote:
>  - any "REFERENC" value in a FITS file that points outside the FITS file itself will be liable to #FAIL and almost by definition will violate the FITS self-describing, self-containing design paradigm
>
> - curious question from me: what is the point of putting a DOI in the FITS file? If the DOI describes the FITS file itself and you are able to read the REFERENC keyword I s'pect you have the actual digital object in hand already. The real question is: what does "the DOI" actually mean? It is totally up to the publisher to define what is meant by "a DOI", and hence, what do you expect to see on the webpage of that DOI once it resolves. Again this is not the responsibility of FITS but of the publisher of the DOI, and later the "owner" or "maintainer" in case the DOIs were transferred to a new owner/maintainer.

Cheers,

-----
Marjolein Verkouter (she/her)
Head Technical Operations and R&D

JIVE — Joint Institute for VLBI ERIC —
https://www.jive.eu
Oude Hoogeveensedijk 4, 7991PD, Dwingeloo, The Netherlands
Phone: +31521596516
Mobile: +31625055174
Fax: +31521597332

My working schedule likely differs from yours. Do not feel compelled to read or reply to my email(s) outside office hours.