[fitsbits] DOI keyword usage for FITS? {External}

Seaman, Robert Lewis - (rseaman) rseaman at arizona.edu
Fri Aug 4 10:33:56 EDT 2023

Hi all,

  *   Many keywords point outside the FITS file either implicitly or explicitly, e.g., software versioning, filter curves, instrument definitions.

  *   I want to add the DOI pointing to the PDS archive containing the image.

At the moment, I’m thinking:

REFERENC= ‘doi:10.26033/80fq-dn90’
BIBCODE = ‘2022pdss.data....7S’

Or maybe DOI instead of REFERENC and omit “doi:”. I’ll ask my PDS colleagues what other projects have done in similar circumstances.

FITSBITS discussions tend to get very philosophical, including various folks suggesting we violate the standard in various ways. In a practical sense, I want data formats that will pass review and validation by PDS. My opinion on whether multiple REFERENC keywords are acceptable doesn’t matter if PDS will reject the file for failing FITS validation.

Rob