[fitsbits] current FITS toolkits ? {External}

Mohammad Akhlaghi mohammad at akhlaghi.org
Mon Sep 26 13:35:18 EDT 2022

Hi Rob,

GNU Astronomy Utilities (Gnuastro) is a command-line utility with many
command-line programs (fully written in C, directly using CFITSIO+WCSLIB
as a back-end) for reading/writing FITS files in many scenarios
necessary for astronimical data reduction:

https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuastro

This is the list of command-line programs that it provides (with a short
description of each):

https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuastro/manual/html_node/Gnuastro-programs-list.html

For the particular question you mentioned, you can use the "Crop"
program (to separate each observed region from the pre/over-scans and
other amplifiers for example) and the "Arithmetic" program (for
stitching them into one full image without the pre/over-scans). In fact,
there is a fully working example for this scenario in the documentation
of the 'stitch' operator of the Arithmetic program (you should just
change the values to '--section' based on your camera):

https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuastro/manual/html_node/Dimensionality-changing-operators.html

If you use these in a Makefile instead of a simple shell script, you can
even parallelize the calls to 'astcrop' over all exposures and all
amplifiers and speed up the job significantly. Make has wonderful
parallelization and workflow orchestration capabilities which we
extensively use in our FITS processing with Gnuastro.

For a general hands-on tutorial to Gnuastro's command-line tools, we
have this section of the manual:

https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuastro/manual/html_node/General-program-usage-tutorial.html

You can also watch this video tutorial that we presented in last year's
ADASS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iukkBV-EBbM

Cheers,
Mohammad