[fitsbits] [EXTERNAL] Re: Stokes parameters coordinate system

Tim Pearson tjp at astro.caltech.edu
Mon Mar 2 17:53:35 EST 2020

I am not aware of any standard convention for defining the polarization convention in use in a FITS file.

The position angle of the electric vector and hence Q and U may be referred to Galactic north, Equatorial north, or an instrument frame, and in practice the frame of the polarization (equatorial or Galactic for example) is not always the same as that used for the angular coordinates of the image.

The CMB community introduced further confusion by failing to follow the IAU convention for position angle and hence of Q and U. See:

https://www.iau.org/static/archives/announcements/pdf/ann16004a.pdf <https://www.iau.org/static/archives/announcements/pdf/ann16004a.pdf>

The deprecated "CMB" convention is used for most CMB-related HEALPIx images: see

https://healpix.jpl.nasa.gov/html/intronode12.htm <https://healpix.jpl.nasa.gov/html/intronode12.htm>

A FITS header keyword POLCCONV is sometimes used to indicate the polarization coordinate convention; its value is either COSMO for files following the Healpix/CMB/Planck convention or IAU for those following the IAU convention. But this does not specify the zero point of position angle.

Tim Pearson