[fitsbits] Stokes parameters coordinate system

Peter Teuben teuben at astro.umd.edu
Mon Mar 2 16:48:13 EST 2020

Bill

       If an instrument doesn't measure one of the standard I,Q,U,V
(stokes 1,2,3,4) or XX,YY,.... (stokes -5,-6,...) or RR,LL,... (stokes
-1,-2,...) for which we have an integer convention (such that even
CDELT3 etc. work), i'm inclined to say to assign it a non-standard
integer (but negative), and indeed put in the comment fields that these
are non-standard and not calibrated yet. For example -12,-13 might be
nice if they somehow reflect Q and U ?

Hopefully the calibration routines will then output proper stokes Q and
U. presumably the FITS header will have other parameters that the
calibration routines know how to deal with....

just a wild guess

- peter