[fitsbits] the IAU Data Representation Working Group

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at lambrate.inaf.it
Mon Sep 12 09:18:52 EDT 2016

This message is addressed particularly to the FITSBITS subscribers who are
members of the IAU (but also to those with specifical technical
competences which might become *associate* to the IAU).

Its purpose is to explain the rationale of the new IAU Data Representation
Working Group (DRWG for short), to solicit candidatures for it, and to
collect ideas. Please spread the news (e.g. forwarding this message).

On Thu, 8 Sep 2016, Lucio Chiappetti wrote:

> I plan to distribute to FITSBITS soon a draft document about this new IAU
> working group which should incorporate the current FITS WG. The announcement
> should be spread also to other forums of potentially interested people
> (ideally IAU members).

Here is the current draft
http://sax.iasf-milano.inaf.it/~lucio/FITS/DRWG/drwg-proposal.pdf

The basic idea is that the DRWG should consist of two tiers. The outer
tier will not be unlike FITSBITS (but usually restricted to IAU members),
a general discussion forum.  If you want to be a member, or know somebody
who is interested, please spread the news.

The inner tier could be composed by a number of "Special Expert Groups"
(SEGs) with limited membership (in numbers), with a specific task (and
duration).

One of these "Special Expert Groups" will be dedicated to FITS. It will
include the current members of the IAU FITS WG who are not resigning and
some new members (membership is being rearranged autonomously). It will
continue the current "curation" of the FITS format standard with the rules
of the IAU FITS WG or whatever rules the members may autonomously make
them evolve into.

Other "Special Expert Groups" might be dedicated to the curation of the
astronomical standard of other data formats. If anybody wants to suggest
one, or knows of a community who does, please speak up and/or inform them,
asking to show up here on FITSBITS (for the time being) or to me.

Other "Special Expert Groups" might address specific tasks. Cases which
have been mentioned are a "next generation data format SEG", a "data
provenance SEG" and an "Event stream SEG". Please feel free to propose
other tasks, or to express your statement of interest in them.

For more details and possibilities see the draft document.

Feel free to spread the news, express (here or to me) your generic or
specific interest, and make any practical suggestion (including the best
way to arrange communications within the group, which, once established,
should move off FITSBITS).

Please read the draft and be reactive