[fitsbits] FITS BoF at ADASS and DRWG

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at lambrate.inaf.it
Thu Sep 8 12:56:00 EDT 2016

I'd like to inform the FITS community (initially) that at the ADASS in
Trieste (16-20 October) there will be a Birds-of-a-Feather (BoF)
one-and-half-hour session on FITS ... and not only.

I include below the abstract I submitted (it was accepted and I am waiting
for the final schedule).

As you see, I intend to give a two-fold orientation to my presentation.

One would be to summarize the work done recently on the FITS standard (and
that will be easy and brief), the other one is to collect inputs for the
new Data Representation WG.

I plan to distribute to FITSBITS soon a draft document about this new IAU
working group which should incorporate the current FITS WG. The
announcement should be spread also to other forums of potentially
interested people (ideally IAU members).

I would like initially to collect ideas about the Data Representation WG
here on FITSBITS, and exploit the ADASS BoF session as a way to tak
face-to-face about it.

Please tell me if you are coming to the ADASS, what are your suggestions
on the matter, and feel free to spread the news, and any future material
I will circulate !

FITS (Flexible Image Transport System) and Data Representations WG BoF.
Proposed by L.Chiappetti, chair, IAU FITS WG

FITS (Flexible Image Transport System) data format, developed in the late
1970s, has proven a successful de facto standard data interchange format
of astronomy.

Since 1988 the IAU FITS Working Group has been charged, with a resolution
of the International Astronomical Union, to mantain the FITS data format
existing standard and approve future extensions. With the recent reform of
IAU commissions and working groups, the FITS WG will be absorbed in the
new Data Representations WG, in order to consider the broadening of the
data landscape, where some new facilities are exploring alternatives to
the FITS standard in order to manage their issues of data scale and
complexity. The new WG shall manage a careful and minimally disruptive
transition from FITS to more modern and capable data representations, in a
way to assure and maintain the fluent interoperability of telescope data
that has not only made multi-wavelength astronomical research commonplace,
but has also made our data management practices the envy of many other
disciplines.

The proposed BoF session will allow to present collectively the last
updates to the FITS standard, with the time representation WCS and the
incorporation of a number of useful conventions, as well as to act as a
"constituent phase" for the new Data Representation WG.