[fitsbits] Celsius unit in FITS keyword comments

Mark Taylor M.B.Taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Mar 3 09:44:40 EST 2016

On Thu, 3 Mar 2016, Lucio Chiappetti wrote:

> I cannot talk for IVOA, but somebody more familiar with that environment
> should (after all there is no sense in FITS and IVOA diverging, nor in FITS
> ruling over this matter).

The IVOA Units document v1.0, Derriere and Gray 2014,
http://www.ivoa.net/documents/VOUnits/,
has this to say in section 1.4:

   This Recommendation does not prescribe what units data providers
   employ, except to the extent that we avoid giving a standard
   interpretation for a unit in some cases (for example we do not
   acknowledge the degree celsius or the century as units). Since we
   do not forbid ‘unrecognised’ units, this need not restrict data
   providers.