[fitsbits] Celsius unit in FITS keyword comments

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at lambrate.inaf.it
Thu Mar 3 09:31:35 EST 2016

On Thu, 3 Mar 2016, Forveille thierry wrote:

> The FITS standards explicitly states, from day 1 if my memory is
> correct, that the only supported units are SI, plus degrees for angles.

Sorry to contradict you even I agreed with all your suggestions (and
therefore wanted to be silent) :-)

I also *believed* FITS accepted only SI units plus something, but then
Celsius apparently are listed as "derived units" for SI (at least on
wikipedia).

The reference for units in the FITS standard is section 4.3, which DOES
NOT list Celsius explicitly or implicitly in the text and in tables 3/4,
nor does forbid it.

However it refers to the IAU style manual, which at the link mentioned by
Rob https://www.iau.org/publications/proceedings_rules/units/ also does
not list Celsius explicitly, except that in footnote 5 says "The degree
Celsius (oC) is used in specifying temperature for meteorological
purposes, but otherwise the kelvin (K) should be used."

I cannot talk for IVOA, but somebody more familiar with that environment
should (after all there is no sense in FITS and IVOA diverging, nor in
FITS ruling over this matter).

Being ill at ease with wikipedia as reference, I am now checking the
official SI reference http://www.bipm.org/en/publications/si-brochure/
and indeed http://www.bipm.org/en/publications/si-brochure/section2-2.html
gives Celsius as a "SI coherent derived unit"

It is perhaps a pity that FITS standard 4.3.1 and Table 6 defining
compound units do NOT allow to define a compound unit as an unit
plus/minus a constant, so one cannot use K–273.15.

Presumably nobody is going to express a stellar temperature or galaxy
cluster temperature or cosmic background temperature in Celsius, so the
only possible references to Celsius in a FITS file should be
non-astronomical, related to environmental or meteorological temperature.

And this usage is presumably bound to local/site conventions.

I see only two possible ways out: either convert temperature to K, or use
explicitly a wording like "Celsius".

After all FITS 4.3 rules are a "should". It also says "If a requirement
exists within this standard for the units of a keyword, then those units
must be used." Since there is no requirement for Celsius, one is free to
use the name under a local convention.