[fitsbits] results of IAUFWG vote on compression

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at lambrate.inaf.it
Fri Jun 10 11:15:53 EDT 2016

As you might remember the proposal to include FITS compression was
approved at majority last February. The presence of some NO-votes (see
excerpt below) forced a three-month delay.

Having this expired, FITS compression is now validly part of the FITS
standard.

http://sax.iasf-milano.inaf.it/~lucio/FITS/Conventions/compression-fin2.pdf
contains the entire text of section 10 with the current pagination

Note that the standard is *identical* in all technical details to what
approved in February, as it is most of the text. The only addition is a
short disclaimer sentence, which can be found across the two pages of
this excerpt (if one does not want to retrieve the entire section)
http://sax.iasf-milano.inaf.it/~lucio/FITS/Conventions/compression-disc.pdf

Some of us felt redundant to include a disclaimer, since it has always
been assumed that a generic FITS reader has no obligations to implement
all FITS features. However, given the complexity of some of the
compression algorithms, some other of us felt appropriate to include a
specific disclaimer.

- mantainers of large archives may freely use compression to store (and
   distribute) their data

- simple users or writers of homegrown FITS readers are not compelled
   to implement compression/decompression but may use existing utilities
   like fpack/funpack to deal with them

We are considering the possibility to register a specific MIME type for
compressed FITS files, but even if we decide to proceed that will take
a while