[fitsbits] reopening of Public Comment Period on the INHERIT convention

Dick Shaw shaw at noao.edu
Wed Jun 8 12:40:03 EDT 2016

I think it is very useful to reserve the INHERIT keyword, as a great many FITS files that use this
convention have been archived. I also agree that adding the proposed appendix gives INHERIT some
useful visibility, and clarifies it's use. I suggest a minor re-wording of a couple of points in
the proposed appendix:

1. Paragraph 1, add after sentence 1:

"The INHERIT keyword *must not* appear in the primary header."

2. Paragraph 3, sentence 3:
"The mandatory primary array keywords (e.g., BITPIX, NAXIS, and NAXISn) and any COMMENT, HISTORY,
and blank keywords in the primary header are never inherited."

I believe "never" is not one of the official holy words (must, shall, may, etc.) per RFC 2119. I
suggest the following modification:

"The mandatory primary array keywords (e.g., BITPIX, NAXIS, and NAXISn) and any COMMENT, HISTORY,
and blank keywords in the primary header *must not* be inherited."

-Dick