[fitsbits] tile compressed fits, blackbox

van Nieuwenhoven, Richard Richard.vanNieuwenhoven at adesso.at
Mon Oct 19 01:10:11 EDT 2015

Hi,

lets try again ;-) please help providing a good test data set. I have
only 1 response on my request till now ;-(

I am interested in any compressed fits file, specially if the file
contains one of the following text/column names:

GZIP_COMPRESSED_DATA
UNCOMPRESSED_DATA
ZZERO

so if you do a grep in your fits file store and have a hit, please help
me getting together a good test block.

great thanks for any help!
      Ritchie

Am 2015-10-12 um 08:45 schrieb van Nieuwenhoven, Richard:
> Hi,
>
> We are in the last stages of implementing/porting all tile compression
> code from cfitsio to nom-tam-fits. The construction of unit tests that
> reach every angle of the algorithm was a real challenge ;-) But sadly
> they are still all white box tests. (Tests that where constructed with
> the knowledge of the code to reach a specific situation in the code)
>
> Now help is needed from the fits community, to do the blackbox testing.
> We need real live COMPRESSED fits files that we can use for blackbox
> testing. Specially for the corner cases, where some specialities of the
> specification are used.
>
> Some natural occurrences of:
> - square tiles (so any non default row by row tiles)
> - null values in any constellation
> - containing a UNCOMPRESSED_DATA column
>   (old handling for tiles that could not be compressed using the
>   specified algorithm)
> - containing a GZIP_COMPRESSED_DATA column
>   (new handling for tiles that could not be compressed using the
>   specified algorithm)
> - any files that use fine tuned parameters to reach a special goal.
>
> We would be very thankful for any COMPRESSED fits files that are send to
> us (or a link where the file can be downloaded). Please specify if the
> file may be published freely or if there are licence issues connected to
> the file. If requested the files will we deleted after the integration
> tests.
>
> great thanks for any help!
>
>      Ritchie
>
> P.S.
> The fits compression code is now available pure java (already a few
> refactoring cycles where done to make the code more "java" like), so if
> somebody needs the compression algorithms feel free to copy/convert them
> from nom-tam-fits.

BSc Richard van Nieuwenhoven
Software Architekt

adesso Austria GmbH
floridotower 26. Stock              T +43 1 2198790-0
Foridsdorfer Hauptstr. 1            F +43 1 2198790-13
A-1210 Wien                         H +43 664 88614710
                                    E richard.vannieuwenhoven at adesso.at
                                    www.adesso.at