[fitsbits] start of Public Comment Period on the Green Bank convention

Tom McGlynn (NASA/GSFC Code 660.1) tom.mcglynn at nasa.gov
Thu Jun 25 11:59:06 EDT 2015

It's very unclear to me what the scope of this proposal is.  It is
unclear how the first two paragraphs relate to the convention since they
seem to be using the WCS examples where only in the last sentence of
paragraph 2 do we get to the actual convention.

If the third paragraph of 8.2.1 is normative, then in a table it is
possible that any keyword is taking the place of a a fixed column in a
table.  I think this is a perfectly appropriate convention in some
limited context in which the table columns are
known in some fashion outside of the particular FITS file. However this
is potentially disastrous as a general convention.  A generic library
deserializing a FITS file into a table and passing it along to some
client has no way to know which columns its client is expecting.  The
only way to deal with this would be to add a column to the table for
each keyword
in the header.

I believe this convention must remain no more than that unless and until
some mechanism is proposed to identify the virtual columns.

Note that even as a convention this is not ideal.  When we have table
columns we not only have a place to put the value we have we can provide
lots of metadata about the columns: units, logical minimum and maximum
values, UCDs and so forth.   So even if the identification issue were
resolved, I'd not be especially comfortable promoting this practice.

        Tom McGlynn