[fitsbits] start of Public Comment Period on blank header space convention

Tom McGlynn (NASA/GSFC Code 660.1) tom.mcglynn at nasa.gov
Thu Jun 25 11:43:23 EDT 2015

It seems to me that this really is a convention rather than something
that belongs in the standard. It's a clever trick that allows users to
add keywords without rewriting long files.  I think putting this in the
standard directly is inappropriate since this is really a usage
convention and the standard really discusses the encoding of FITS file.
  This doesn't address a staitc encoding issue, but a question of how
you transform one FITS file into another.  My inclination would be to
add a shorter version of the text as footnote.  I.e.,  add this footnote:
   Conventionally ysers can reserve space to add keywords to an image,
by adding completely blank records immedately before the END keyword.

     Tom