[fitsbits] start of Public Comment Period on blank header space convention

William Thompson William.T.Thompson at nasa.gov
Thu Jun 25 15:55:11 EDT 2015

I have to admit, I don't understand why this should rise to the level of being
incorporated into the standard.  The only purpose seems to be to reserve space
within a header while the file is being actively updated, to avoid overwriting
data if the header spills over a 2880 byte block boundary.  Once the data
processing is complete, and the file is ready to be delivered to the public or
archive, this doesn't really seem to be very useful any more.

The FITS standard already allows this possibility, so adding this text doesn't
change the standard; it only suggests a possible usage for something that's in
the standard.

Bill Thompson

--
William Thompson