[fitsbits] start of Public Comment Period on CONTINUE Long Kwd convention

Tom McGlynn (NASA/GSFC Code 660.1) tom.mcglynn at nasa.gov
Thu Jun 25 11:03:25 EDT 2015

Overall I don't see much problem with this proposal.  Unlike the
existing convention is requires no special keyword
so that long strings are possible in all headers if we incorpoate this.

However as pointed out by Ritchie I think that the text should describe
how the comment fields
on an extended string are to be processed.  Should the comments be
considered a single entity
in the same fashion as the strings.

There are also a couple of special issues that should probably be
explicitly discussed.

   - Currently FITS strings cannot have significant trailing blanks
since they are explicitly stripped.  However using the
long string convention it would be possible to support them using a
construct like:

    WEATHER = 'ABC&'
    CONTINUE '  '
where the fact that we used the CONTINUE when all we put on it was
blanks could be used to indicate that the blanks are significant. The
inability is have significant trailing blanks is a minor but real
deficiency for FITS keywords, and this could rectify it.  I am not
advocating this, but I do think that this should be explicitly noted one
way or the other.

If trailing blanks remain insignificant, then one can use
    WEATHER = 'ABC&' / Beginning of very long comment...
    CONTINUE '  &' / Continuation of long comment
    CONTINUE '  '  / End of long comment
as a convention for handling comments that don't fit in String fields.

Similarly one might have
    INTVALUE =     1 / Start of long comment
     CONTINUE         / Continuation of long comment...

for non strings.

  - The other issue is the meaning (if any) of  CONTINUE statements in
any context other than being part of a long string.
I gave a possible example above, but

One language lawyer issue, is that I'd not explicitly note which
keywords are not allowed to use this convention.  Rather I'd say
something like:  Long string values may not be used in any keyword whose
position is fixed within the FITS standard nor any that are required to
be given in the fixed format.

I believe that would allow such keywords for TDISP, TFORM, TTYPE, and
such  -- and I don't see why not.

If we are going to make long strings standard FITS, then we should make
them first class values.

- I don't know if it would clarify things for users who have been used
to seeing a LONGSTRN keyword to add an historical note of the form:

   When long strings were supported as a convention, the LONGSTRN
keyword was used to
    signal the possible presence oflong strings in the HDU.  The use of
this keyword is no longer
    required or recommended.

    Tom