[fitsbits] updates to the FITS standard document

Tom McGlynn (NASA/GSFC Code 660.1) tom.mcglynn at nasa.gov
Thu Jun 25 10:04:14 EDT 2015

Since I've been on travel the past couple of weeks I may be a bit behind
on the discussion here, but I think I'd add my voice to those who have
suggested that this process seems much too hurried. While some of these
conventions may have been used for quite some, they were written as
conventions where the parties using them agreed to them..  If we are
putting them in the standard I think there needs to be a much more
careful review than is possible within the very constrained interval
here including the possible interactions between the proposals.  This is
as I understand it the first time that many of use will have seen the
actual text being proposed for adopting into the standard.  While I
understand that there is pressure to get to agreement before the IAU, my
vote (had I one!) I feel that that may not lead to the best result.

In the next few hours, I plan to send out notes giving my initial
thoughts on the status of each of these.

     Regards,
     Tom McGlynn