[fitsbits] updates to the FITS standard document

William Pence William.Pence at nasa.gov
Tue Jun 23 00:25:36 EDT 2015

On 6/22/2015 5:28 AM, THIERRY FORVEILLE wrote:
> In that respect, having all 6 conventions under review at the same time
> is not helpful. (...) I may not be able to look at all of them before
> the deadlines and could then only abstain on those that I would not have
> looked at. Defining priorities would help, as that would ensure that
> our available time is concentrated on the same proposals, and avoid
> that possibly all 6 get a few abstentions from people who have not been
> able to look at them.

OK, since you asked, here is my suggested priority order for reviewing
the conventions (others may have different priorities, of course).

1.  Column limits
2.  Green Bank convention
3.  Blank header space
4.  Checksum keywords (review to be announced on 23 June)
5.  Image and table compression
6.  Continue long string keywords
7.  Inherit convention

Notes:

The first 3 conventions are very short and simple and should be fairly
easy to review.

The 4th convention (checksum keywords) is also fairly short.  Note that
the description of the recommended checksum algorithm in Appendix J will
not be included in the official vote by the IAU FWG, so it is not
strictly necessary to understand it in detail (although the algorithm
does contain some clever mathematical tricks that may be of interest to
some).

The 5th convention, on compression, is by far the longest and most
complex of all the conventions.  While it is probably not necessary to
understand every technical detail, it would be good to at least get a
general understanding of the file compression process.

Finally, the 6th and 7th conventions are not difficult to understand,
but may generate the most discussion.

-Bill