[fitsbits] REFERENC keyword, etc.

Joe Hourcle oneiros at grace.nascom.nasa.gov
Mon Jul 20 18:55:23 EDT 2015

On Mon, 20 Jul 2015, William Thompson wrote:

> Folks:
>
> In our community we've been discussing the need for including information in
> the FITS header about the instrument that produced the data.  The FITS
> standard describes the keyword REFERENC which is described as being where the
> data are published.  We were thinking of using this or a similar keyword to
> point to the instrument paper.  However, the description of REFERENC doesn't
> appear to be compatible with this usage.  Instead, it appears to be oriented
> towards a data rights model where specific observations are considered to
> belong to a group of researchers until the data are published.  That's not
> generally the case in our field.

I had brought up REFERENC for this use a while back, and I was told that
it's from the Vizier project, where when they extracted the data from the
arcticles, and in the resulting FITS files, they put a reference back to
the paper (in this case, a bibcode).

> One keyword that we've recently (tentatively) adopted is INFO_URL to point to
> a website where information about the instrument can be found.  This can
> include copies of the instrument paper(s), user guides, software manuals,
> observer's logs, and the like.  However, one must always consider URLs as
> ultimately ephemeral, and a standard way to point to the published
> literature, which is considered to be more permanent, is highly desired.  I'm
> curious to know how other groups have tackled this problem.
>
> One possible set of keywords which have occurred to me are:
>
> INS_REF Instrument description paper
> CAL_REF Instrument calibration paper
>
> The instrument calibration paper tends to come well after the instrument
> description paper.  I haven't discussed these keywords yet with our teams,
> but they seem sensible.  As with REFERENCE, these should either contain the
> ADS bibcode, or the DOI.
>
> I'm interested to know what you think,

I've been trying to get access to mint DOIs through the EOSDIS here at
Goddard -- I likely need to ping them again, as I was told they'd have to
discuss it with some other people.

As an alternative to DOIs, we could also use PURLs, which are 'persistent
URLs'.  Basically, you have a DSN name that's used to redirect people, so
that you only have to make sure that one site stays up.  Should the site
hosting the documentation go down, you adjust the record at the PURL site
to redirect to the new location.

Personally, I'm against hard-linking to the instrument & calibration
papers, because they're static -- if you linked to a paper describing the
original EIT calibration, it wouldn't contain any information about the
degredation that wasn't detected until years later.  I would prefer to see
a 'INFO_URL' pointing to a website that the PI team could update.  They
could then provide up-to-date links to information about calibration, the
user's guide, etc.

For the solar community, I've set up 'http://data.virtualsolar.org/' for
PURLs.  It was set up as a stop-gap until I can mint DOIs.*

If you're planning for the long term, as our community tends to define
headers early in the mission, and then avoid changing them, I'd actually
like to see there be slightly different PURLs if there are different types
of data released.  (eg, if there are multiple detectors, different
observing modes, or different types of processing applied).  This way, we
can more easily differentiate between them.

We could also use these PURLs to serve metadata about the larger
collection of data.  See "Achieving human and machine accessibility of
cited data in scholarly publications", which discusses this plus some
recommendations on cross-discipline standards:

 	https://dx.doi.org/10.7717/peerj-cs.1

For more on the arguments against linking to static documents, see the
handout from the poster "Linking Articles to Data":

 	http://dx.doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.13802

-Joe

* and currently, only has one entry:

 	http://data.virtualsolar.org/soho.uvcs